Thursday, October 3, 2013

Rotation, Rotation, Rotation!


So, got that first suit?  Hopefully you were sure to get a basic that gives you versatility.  I know what the next logical question is going to be - "well, how many suits should I have?"

There is no simple answer here, as the answer will vary depending on the individual.  As someone in the industry the easy answer is... can you EVER have enough?!  Alas, I know that answer doesn't work for most men, and Suitably Dressed is for most men.

Working within menswear I've heard this answered in many different ways, but they all start with the same fundamental question - How often do you wear a suit?  If your answer is every day (5 times each week) then one suit isn't going to cut it!  Some people in the industry will tell you 1 suit for each day you need to wear one, and then an extra 2 (for those times that one is being cleaned or pressed).  From everything I've learned about fabrics, construction of suits, etc. you really need a full 2 week rotation.

Made easy:
1 day per week = 2 suits
2 days per week = 4
3 days per week = 6
and so on...

You can wear your suits more frequently than this, and you can have less than a full two week rotation, but a suit NEEDS TIME TO RECOVER!  If it doesn't have time to bounce back properly, be prepared to need to replace it within a year or so - it's going to look shabby!  Look, there is a whole slew of reasoning behind why recovery time is important and why there are a variety of answers, but trust me there is importance in establishing a rotation - and besides you don't wear the same socks two days in a row do you?!

My initial intention was to also address shirts, shoes, etc.  I realized that this is too important a concept to gloss over, and I don't want these posts to get too long.  I promise I'll cover it!

Leave me some feedback, give a little love, and follow the blog - if you keep reading it, I'll keep writing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment