Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Quality vs. Quantity, AKA Good vs. Evil




So we've been chatting about the importance of a proper rotation.  We've talked about why you need multiple suits, plenty of shirts, and even have begun to touch on why this is important.  As you do just this, it becomes very easy to lose sight of a VERY important piece of this:

THE QUALITY OF YOUR CLOTHES IS OF THE UTMOST IMPORTANCE!!!

I can hear the objection now - I've heard it so many times in my profession - "I don't want to spend $10,000 on a suit - that's just ridiculous!"  If this was the only price for a quality good, then yes I would agree.  Right now in menswear there are more options than ever, and many of them are for extremely reasonable prices.  Cost is a very relative thing based on your income, and what you are comfortable spending, but spend a little extra to get better quality - it is ALWAYS worth it.

I am going to remain very careful in not pushing any single product or brand, this is for everyone, and I do not wish to limit the audience.  I have always maintained with my own clients, and myself, that your ideal rotation is not something you have to get to all at once.  If the choice comes down to purchasing 1 garment instead of 3, buy one quality piece that will last longer, fit better, and that will make you more comfortable.

Here are just some of the benefits that come with spending a few more of those $$$ on better quality:
-better fit
-better fabric (we'll touch more on this to come)
-better construction
-better details (protected friction points, reinforced stitching, rubberized waistband, etc)
-better look on you

Take an extra minute to consider if getting a lot for a little is really worth it to sacrifice all that!

Keep reading, keep sharing, and stay Suitably Dressed!

No comments:

Post a Comment